Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Lost Notebook

I was in my room tonight and I wanted a book to between my laptop and my lap. I looked over and saw a notebook that was stuck between a bookshelf and my old nightstand. I opened it and discovered my school notes from my final semester at SSU. This means...I found the information about the D'Arcy family that I posted about earlier!!!!

So, as I mentioned, there was a D'Arcy who came over with William the Conqueror. His family was given power via William in the North England, protecting the country from those big bad evil Scots. ;) Several centuries later, big bad Henry VIII lowered them in status. They began to build up their fortunes again during Elizabeth's reign. When James I united Scotland and England, he gave the Darcys an earldom. The fourth earl died without male issue. Two of his estates were given to his daughter, Amelia. The bow on this package is that Amelia had a daughter, Augusta. This would be Augusta Byron Leigh, the key word being BYRON! Yes, Lord Byron's half-sister. I loves me some Byron.
Anyways, Robert D'Arcy was the last nobleman from the original D'Arcy who came with William the Conqueror and he died in 1778.

Austen most likely read David Hume's history and therefore knew about the famous family.

1 comment:

EmmaDG said...

And here I'd always thought Darcy couldn't be any sexier. Trust my beloved Gooch to show me the light! Love this.